Thursday, March 8, 2007

When I first signed up for softball, I had no idea it was going to take me as far as I am today.

When I first signed up for softball, I had no idea it was going to take me as far as I am today. I have been to various world series tournaments, but to get there it takes learning, physical and friendship skills. This has definitely been a challenge to be where I am today.

In order to go out for this sport you need to be in the best shape of your life. Not necessarily weight wise, but you need your lungs in shape for all of the physical endurance ahead. You should be physically healthy inside and out. If you have asthma or some kind of breathing condition, you don’t want to pass out on the field. You may be painful and sore starting out, but eventually your body will adapt.

Learning all the basic techniques and lessons in softball takes years. Drill after drill and lap after lap, eventually you will coach on. Sometimes learning so many different lessons in softball can take 10 years to master or sometimes only a couple years, like me. I started when I was 11 years old and now I am 12 and have been on many important softball teams. Applying all of these skills takes time, but in the end it’s worth it.

Making new friends may seem like a challenge for many people. For me and many other girls, softball has opened a whole new opportunity. Since I started I’ve met girls from 7 years of age to 14 years old. Most of them are good friends of mine. I met my best friend through softball. I get to hang out with her at practice, tournaments, games, opening days, ceremonies, and world ceremonies. We enjoy spending time at hotels the most.

Softball has been one of my biggest challenges I have faced yet.

By J.C., a middle school student

No comments: