Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My first day of 6th grade was horrible...

My first day of 6th grade was horrible because it was pretty boring. I didn’t really know anyone; it was my first day of school in the U.S. I came from Colombia, so I was very shy. Kids came up to me and asked me my name and if I wanted to sit with them. This made me nervous. I had a schedule but didn’t know where to go. I was lost. Kids asked me questions, but I didn’t understand English. I didn’t have a clue about what was going on that first day in class. The teachers kept speaking to me because I was lost and didn’t know what the other kids were doing. The teacher thought I wasn’t paying attention. I didn’t understand English. I had to call my mom so she could help me. After a week of school I kind of understood what the teachers and kids were saying and I was more comfortable.

By D. D., a middle school student

No comments: