Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Do you know anyone whose parents are divorced? Are your parents divorced? Hopefully not, because it stinks.

Do you know anyone whose parents are divorced? Are your parents divorced? Hopefully not, because it stinks. My parents have been divorced since I was 4 years old, and even 10 years later, I still have problems with it.

For a couple of years, I did that whole “every other weekend” thing, but that didn’t really work out. Then I had to answer one of the hardest questions in my life, I had to choose which parent I wanted to live with. I had chosen my mother. But when I said good bye to my dad I had a broken heart. My dad was always a big part of my life and now he and I were going to be thousands of miles away from each other.

I had to start a whole new life, new friends, new town, basically a new lifestyle. My mother and I had moved to New York (my whole family is originally from there). My mom was different from my dad in many ways, so I had to adjust to her methods of life. But the big problem was everything I had left behind in Florida. My friends were the world to me, and I didn’t see them any more, I loved my house, and where it was, but now I was living in completely different home. I missed my brothers, and you can’t replace them, and my dad, I would never allow a person to take the place of my dad.

All of these challenges in my life were affecting everything did. In Florida I was extremely popular and had tons of friends, but I was nobody in NY and knew nobody. I had to overcome my problems and make it right, so I did. I started getting more friends here and there and eventually accepted that my friends in Florida were there without me. By opening up to new things, my mom and I had a much better relationship.

To conclude, there are many challenges people face from day to day, whether they are as minor as your hair style or to death of a loved one. One thing to remember is to all ways to look on the bright side, and don’t wait a while to start doing what is right.

By D. A., a middle school student

No comments: